Walnuts are an excellent source of anti-inflammatory omega-3 essential fatty acids, in the form of alpha-linolenic acid (ALA). Walnuts are also rich in antioxidants, including being a very good source of manganese and copper. They are also a good source of molybdenum and the B vitamin biotin.
Walnuts are also known to aid in the following ways:
- Improve Heart Function
- Boost Bone Health
- Improve Metabolism
- Control Diabetes (good snack..very minimal weight gain)
- Prevent Cancer
- Some of the components present in walnuts have the capability of controlling the growth of cancer cells in the body.
- Reduce Inflammation
- Skin Care: Rich in gamma-tocopherol, walnuts are also a good source of vitamin E, which is a strong lipid-soluble antioxidant. The vitamin E present in them helps in maintaining and protecting the skin from free radicals that are harmful in nature. They are also an important source of B-complex vitamins such as folate, niacin, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, and vitamin B-6.
- Regulate Sleep: Want a good night’s sleep? Eat some walnuts soaked in water before sleeping, or eat a salad or any dish using them as toppings. Melatonin, a hormone that helps induce and regulate sleep, is available to them in a bio-available form. Thus, they help make a perfect dinner that leads you to a great, restful sleep.
- Weight Management
- Mood Booster: A scientific study indicates that lack of omega-3 fatty acids (provided by walnuts) cause hyperactivity, irritability, and tantrums. Supplementing a child’s diet with these nuts compensates the deficit in EFAs and alleviates their mood. It is even applicable to adults who are battling depression and stress. Walnut oils have significant astringent properties. Walnut oil has a rich, nutty flavor that helps bring aroma and flavor to the food. This flavor gives a pleasant taste, but only when the walnut oil is used in moderation. It is used as a carrier/base oil in various therapies like aromatherapy, massage therapy, as well as in the cosmetic and pharmaceutical industry.
Felicia Jackson is a certified Health Coach in training and a store manager at Daily Juice Cafe's West University location. She is on a mission to improve her own life and help her family do the same. Ultimately, Felicia aims to use her personal experiences to educate others about health & wellness and help them find a balanced lifestyle.
Share this post
- Tags: food blog, health, health blog, health coach, healthy living, holistic health, holistic nutrition, natural remedies, nutrition